Where do we begin?
Youngest 15 minutes daily
Elementay Ĺ hr.
High school 45 min.
Survey identify languages
Priot ot starting program , all ages , great grand parents, grandparents
- what language do you want taught
- traditional medicines , foods
- food gathering seasons
- compare with other nations
- cluture support worker
- language kits made for parents to learn at home
- Tutors to go and help parents
- kits are free: to help retain language
- community effort
- has to start early
- come in morning
- cultural program, Saskatoon
What are the elders speciality
- making baskets
Difficulty with parernts who do not want children to participate
- teach both, husband and wife
- donít ask them, tell them, ie are you coming Tuesday or Wednesday?
- Elders need to enjoy working with children.
Theme: me, myself and I. family and extended family.
- provide space for elders to create language center(donít isolate though)
- Self esteem : for teacher and children
- Traditional Names
- Elders-top bread
- Parents-filler-just learning
Parents, night classes
- be very flexible
1. staff, who is interested, survey development, if we called on you when would you be available, list talents, interests. Coordinator responsibility to deliver and receive survey. *pre-requisite, to be team member.
2. Community-whos interested, all community members
- worked on for a year and then started
- networking with other community
Emphasis: Oral Listening (cowenska)
- older students were asked to help create curriculum
- buddy system, highschool student responsible for younger student
- buddy lunch