OSI-US Board Meeting
July 16, 2009
Attending: Lisa, Gabriel, Peggy, Gabriel, Doug
Gabriel taking the week off to do school things, work keeps invading my life, interested in the pace of life compared to WSJ article need to have unstructured, day dreaming time to have insights.
Doug just got back from a week in Seattle, got to meet with Peggy and others. Wonderful conversations. Getting caught up on the back up. Looking forward to babysitting grandchildren while son goes off to Thailand. Perhaps a good time for the daydreaming time.
Peggy Last week in Ocean Shores working on book, manuscript. Just had a call with editor at BK who is enthusiastic needing to come up with examples of engaging emergence and upheaval. Journalism work continues. Did first TV interview in Port Townsend with Jim Rough. Another interview today with a blogger who has an association of associations.
Christine Many balls in the air. Need to catch some and drop some. New model just came in could be the impetus for writing.
Lisa work balance with parental care. Mom fell down but is ok. All is good and rich.
1. Selection of Officers
- Lisa - President
- Christine Vice
- Peggy Treasurer wants someone else to take it on for the next year. Gabriel may consider it for next year. Peggy and
- Gabriel - Secretary will send the monthly reminder. Notes taking in meetings will continue on a rotating basis
- Doug continues as a member of the board
- Peggy will follow-up with Ed, Karen, Phelim, Tree
2. WOSonOS? 2009 - How Much to Send to Access Queen, Funding, OSI focus
- $6916.62 available in the OSI-US account
- Past practices we have supported air fair
- This year we will give money directly to the Access Queen
- Revenue historically we have three streams product sales, events and donations
- Product sales
- 2006 & 2007 about 50%
- 2008 it was 21%
- 85-90% of our money is spent in contributions and grants
- 10% - product overhead, the web, event overhead
- Gabriel suggests a way to look at this
- 85% has traditionally been used for grants and contributions, which is the money that could be held for new directions stuff - $4,400
- Bucket - $1500
- Expenses - $1000
- What if we werent a grant-making organization?
- Invest in research
- Christine - proof of concept easy to use TWC, for example because there is already research
- Peggy - As our resident PhD? in the making, Gabriel may help us design the research (he is creating an action research template for TWC. This template could be Open Sourced.
- Place for gathering the data could take place through Michael Ps Open Space World
- Dougs view is that we out to get Open Space out there and if someone wants to do the research, we might give some support. Not a primary interest for him
- Peggy intrigued by idea of allocating some of our resources to support research.
- Doug Im in support of us holding the space for Open Space in the early days, we were a place of support and mutual connection, doing research, mentoring through our connections
- Training in outlying area sending someone would cost $2500 (great deal, way in advance) or more. If we set aside $4000 for that, we could do $1000 for Access Queen and set aside some funds for the Open Space Corporate DVD and the Open Space Website
- Postponing other financial decisions
- Will want to support Michael & Access Queen
- $1000 to Michael immediately to cover the work hes already done
- next call do something similar with Access Queen
- hold off on other choices until after the f2f
It would be a wonderful thing to have that mythical f2f time to do strategy/restructure work.
- 2-3 full days of work with travel days on either side
- Transportation is the biggie, lodging can be worked out easily, food, working space that is useful and productive
- Do you need financial support for lodging, air fare (FF miles)
- OSI-US may subsidize some expenses
- Christine will do a meeting wizard on the dates, proposing Seattle for the meeting
- Gabriel to send meeting announcements
- Next meeting shifted to Wed, Aug 19 to accommodate schedules
- Future meetings back to the third Thurs.
- Call in number 218-339-4300 - 934546
- Time to get real
- Enjoy your summer
- Time to get real because the times call for that
BIN for 8/19/09
- Office of Public Engagement (Christine)
- Rethinking our Product Strategy (Gabriel, Christine)
- OSI World website(Christine)
- Open Space DVD for the Corporate World(Tree)
- OSI-OZ Training Model (Christine)
- Sending Trainers to Underserved Areas (Lisa, Karen, Doug)