Open Space Institute(US)
Visit us at our new home: [Open Space Institute-US]
We believe that inspired behavior can be an everyday experience and that humanity is limited by its perceptions of the possible. The OSI was created to grow that sense of possibility and make it a reality by focusing on: learning, research and practice.
Open Space and the Open Space Institute mean different things to different people. Furthermore they each continue to evolve. Since both are highly fluid and dynamic, as you read these notes on why the Open Space Institute(US) exists and what it does, it is undoubtedly changing. As a result and reflection of this, the Institute webpage and the rest of the work of the Open Space Institute(US) is very much a work in progress.
[Join by donating to the OSI(US)]
The Open Space Institute(US) holds space for Open Space. Open Space Institute(US) serves by:
- Providing access to resources on Open Space,
- Connecting individuals and groups to inform, inspire, mentor, and sustain each other in opening and holding space, AND
- Being an inclusive learning community. /JoinTheInstitute
- /InstituteMembers - send annual dues to fund the work of the Institute.
- /BoardMembers - join us on conference calls and take responsibility for projects.
Activities for Accomplishing our Purpose
- Maintain an email list of OSI(US) memebers and friends
- Listen for and encourage people to document their OS stories
- Convene community activities, conferences and virtual events (e.g. Virtual Open Space on Virtual Open Space)
- Provide information on OS workshops
- Support OS access to the underserved (e.g., workshops, materials, conferences)
- Support the OSLIST email listserve
- Connect people with similar OS interests
- Publish materials on OS (e.g., CDs, videos, articles)
The Board of Directors is guided by Open Space Technology principles.
- Passion determines involvement
- Continually seek the simplest way to accomplish our tasks
- Focus on serving our purpose
- Maintain the financial health of OSI (US)
- Meet monthly for a one-hour teleconference meeting
- Record our monthly discussions and actions on Catalyst (group discussion software; usage donated by BigMindMedia?)
- Respond to member contacts based upon agreements reached on board calls or e-mail exchanges
- Assist in developing membership (including our own)
- Perform staff functions (since we have no staff)
- Reach decisions among whomever comes to our meetings
- Welcome anyone offering to join us in the work of this Board