Board Notes--OSI-US Friday, March 19, 2010
Present: Ed, Peggy, Doug, Karen, Christine, Lisa
Doug will be taking notes for us today.
Started with silence, then check-ins:
Added items to bin: Annual ask letter; Berlin annual member meeting?; Inviting people to board
- Ed's status on Board—he is in for this year; he is re-selected
- Christine will send Phelim a request for his status on the board
Brian Bainbridge Memorial Endowment
- Lisa had sent a draft to Karen
- time line is really short
- could we just get a couple of people in other countries—Larry, Viv or someone else from Down Under
- just authorize Lisa and Karen to make it happen?
- They will make the calls on behalf of our Board
- both recipient and fund raising side of it—a fund that would be used for such scholarships—coordinate with our annual ask?
- Will we ask people for gifts, or the various institutes?
- just give money from our treasury, and then in our ask letter saying we did that
- it would bring in a substantial amount more than the normal ask
- we have almost 5900 in the account
- We won't state the amount to the others
- $500 now, and could do $500 later if needed
- Lisa will keep on top of the need as Access Queen
- We agreed upon the $500 for now
- Annual give letter
- a lot of people who cannot get or post to oslist
- it goes to our membership list and another of about 600+
- Christine will invite Suzanne Daigle personally
- What can we invite?
- wikipedia, blog, ning, think with us about be of service to OS emerging in the southern hemisphere—nurture it, see what our role can be
- Christine's letter last year was one of most effective
- we could invite people to the monthly board call
- Christine will do the first draft; Lisa will be a sounding board
Sub group to talk about online presence
- sub group to meet before April meeting
- wants to talk about the concept of it—what's our presence, what do we wish to do, what do we want to be?
- Therefore more board members at first level
- Christine will be happy to be part
- Lisa might be able to help
- Karen is willing to help
- Ed is very interested, too, but time might be limited
Gabriel parting gift
- We will give him an earth candle
- Peggy will take care of that
Annual meeting: last year and this year
- Last year did not go too well
- not a lot of participation from board or others
- Should not totally give up on this
- Maestro now also has web based platform, too.
- idea is fantastic, but key is who has the energy for it?
- perhaps some similar technology
- include with the online presence conversation
- Bootstrapping and a conscious raising of awareness that leaves skills behind with people for hosting conversations that matter
- potential for “strategic collaboration in open space community”
- annual meeting
- web presence
- brian endowment
- annual invite letter
- thank you Gabriel
Next meeting: April 16th