OSI-US Board Meeting September 18, 2009
- Thank you for your comments, adjustments, corrections.
- Present: Peggy Holman, Ed Laboy, Lisa Heft, Doug Germann Jr., Karen Davis, Tree Fitzpatrick
- Absent: Phelim McDermott?, Gabriel Shirley, Christine Whitney Sanchez
- Notes-taker: Lisa Heft
- Moment of silence.
- Peggy feeling loss of not going to WOSonOS? this year - must stay to complete her book. Ed’s glad to be in the meeting. Tree letting go feeling guilty about the notes. Karen may end up at WOSonOS? - not decide yet, glad to be with. Lisa moving back in after a remodel, looking forward to nesting. Doug checking in about not having anything to check in with.
Annual Member Meeting
- Required by law to hold one each year
- Lisa can hold that Member’s meeting at WOSonOS?. Lisa and Suzanne Daigle are only ones coming from the US - about 20 people from about 10 countries. Gail West thinks the reason for low turnout may be flu, typhoon - economy
- Question regarding the annual meeting - Peggy wonders if it would be better to do a phone based meeting?
- We could send an invitation to those people who are current members / who have paid dues in 09, or send messages to people who have paid dues at any time in 13 year history. Members could be defined either narrowly or broadly.
- We recommend December, after our face-to-face meeting.
- Bylaws say a phone meeting is indeed allowed - a conference call, holding it at WOSonOS? or not
- We can put out a message after our retreat
- This decision also allows Lisa to be with the WOSonOS? folks in other forms, and for Peggy to prepare the update information for November instead of for October.
- May 2010 in Berlin - expecting big group because the most come to an OSonOS or WOSonOS? over land.
- Doug maybe will encourage simultaneous OSonOSs?.
- Lisa: I will always save my money for international gatherings, where there are more people not like me - that is where my deepest learning comes from. And of course I support anyone doing anything in their region. I’ll be announcing an OSonOS in SF in January, by the way.
Growing OS in Latin America
- Lisa is working on it with the help of Gil Lazan. Karen has also some connections there and we can share ideas.
OSI-US in-Person Board Meeting, November
- What if any prep for the face-to-face OSI Board meeting needs to be done?
- Phelim will not be able to join us there. Karen will be joining us there.
- Peggy can make one airport run, maybe Gabriel can as well
- Depending on time of day - low traffic time - the airport is maybe 30 minutes from Peggy’s, similarly 45 minutes to Ann Stadler’s place. If traffic’s bad, allow 45 minutes to the airport on the way home; and it’s recommended to arrive 1.25 hours before flight time.
- Ed will be arriving late afternoon Thursday the 12th and will be staying at the Doubletree hotel - he can do an airport pickup Friday - he is renting a car.
- Who can be the keeper of arrival / departure schedules? Tree. When everyone coming in / out and who needs a ride.
- Also: who needs a bed. She’ll also talk to Ann.
- Please send Tree your schedules when you know them. Also your dietary needs.
- Karen can stay on a bed or on the floor.
- Peggy’s guest bedroom has a king bed so 2 could share if they wanted to with 1 more on a blow-up bed in the office.
- Food: Tree will take a stab at it. She can pass the information to others for our working on it together.
- Doug - should we forgo an October meeting - as our November meeting is so close afterwards?
- Peggy recommends an October meeting - Tree also; Karen feels it is important to have that option.
- Friday 23 (not 16 as the 23rd is better for all) - Otherwise we will resume 3rd Fridays normally
- Lisa updated that Artur and she are chatting about creating an OS portal perhaps similar to the World Cafe Community site.
- Tree excited about retreat, Karen excited about reconnecting, Ed exciting to put faces to names soon, we are sad Taiwan has a small turnout but know it will be a precious thing - Peggy says give a hug for me all my love and good wishes