Iberia Wiki Development
In July, 2003 a team of Spanish and Portuguese speakers asked for that a wiki be set up for posting Open Space learnings in those languages. This was done and they are managing that space on there own, in their own langauges. This is the page where they come back and post questions and issues in English, since they are all new to Wiki and the OSW webmaster and webteam is not able to work in Portuguese or Spanish.
(Thanks, Michael, for creating this space for the Iberian languages - Artur)
- Artur Ferreira da Silva
- Terence Christian Reis
- Alexandre Bobeda
- Veronique Santos
This group (and some others that are not active contributers yet) also meets at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EA-Wiki-Iberia/
Development Questions (in English)
- Can 3 or 4 people edit different pages of the Wiki at the same time?
- Different pages can be edited simultaneously without any troubles.
- What happens if both try to edit the same page? Is it looked after the first one edited it?
- if we are both editing the same page, it will alert the one who saves his/her changes second that someone has saved a version since he/she started editing... and will flag the changes not saved so that the second person can negotiate any conflicts. it's a bit sticky, but it works well enough and nothing is ever just lost. once the wiki grows a bit, it's not often an issue.
- The only way to comunicate to the other members of the group the changes that one member has made is through this Development page?
- No no, you can have a development page in the Iberia Wiki itself, or talk on the email list artur set up... or anywhere else you want... this is where you can ask questions, explore options, make announcements so that those of us english-only people can help with technical or other issues and can share something of the process which we otherwise could not read. --MichaelHerman --- OK, we Have created a Dev page in the Iberian site and removed all Portuguese sections from here to that page. From now on this is an English only page - Artur, 17/7/2003
- Imagine that someone has created a new wiki page with some content and then (by error or not) has destroyed the original "wiki name" that links to that page. How can one destroy the page (and not only the content in it)? - Artur, 19/7
- Deleting pages is an admin function. requires the admin password. i have sent you that password. http://www.usemod.com, usemod wiki has full list of admin functions and how to execute.
- By assotiation of ideas, suppose that an Wiki is "under attack" by spammers or hackers. Can the wiki be protect from those atacks? How? - Artur, 19/7
- Wiki relies primarily on community solutions and only secondarily on technical solutions, so there are relatively few technical 'defenses' for this process. there is the capacity to ban specific IP addresses from editing. there is also the capacity to set up a password that is required for editing. it is best if community solutions (conversation, groundrules, shared clean-up of so-called damage, etc,) can be tried before resorting to technical banning or closing.
- Is there any way to know who did a certan (or each) change)Can the preferences help with that? Art, 19/7
- Each and every change is marked with the IP address or the Username of the person who did the change. MeatBall:RealNames has a bit about anonymity in wiki, which basically runs counter to the spirit of the whole thing and is strongly discouraged. some even consider it outright immoral.--MichaelHerman
- I'd also recommend that you use preferences to set your WikiName? so that then you can sign your contributions and people can click your name to see who you are. -- TedErnst
- How can I include a PDF file in the Wiki? How can I include ANY file in the Wiki?